Frequently Asked Questions
What is Vodafone Mobile Broadband?
- Connect your computer or tablet to your company’s network or to internet services over the mobile phone network
- Send and receive emails and SMS text messages, browse the web, chat with instant messaging or use any other apps that require an internet connection
- Get online from any location that has mobile coverage, without needing to connect to a fixed-line network.
How secure is my data when using Vodafone Mobile Broadband?
How much does it cost to use Vodafone Mobile Broadband?
This will vary depending on your mobile network operator and the data tariff you have agreed with them. Usage is generally charged on the amount of data used per month or per session (pay-as-you-go), up to a set volume limit, above which additional charges may apply on a per-MB basis.
How can I keep track of how much data I am using?
Your Vodafone Mobile Broadband app will display an indication of your ‘Usage’, which gives you an approximate guide to the amount of data that you have transferred, including data that you have sent and data that you have received.
Please note that the Usage totals can only give you a rough guide to the amount of data used: please see your monthly bill for the exact amounts.
Why doesn't the usage data shown in my Vodafone Mobile Broadband app exactly match the usage on my monthly bill?
- The usage indicator in the Vodafone Mobile Broadband app is only an approximate indication of your usage; it should not be relied upon for billing purposes. Only your mobile network provider can generate an accurate data consumption billing charge.
- Some tariffs operate a minimum charge for each session, regardless of the amount of data transferred – just as some phone calls have a minimum charge or time period. Your Vodafone Mobile Broadband app can only measure the data transferred via the app itself and is not aware of any minimum charges.
- The Vodafone mobile network contains advanced compression software to ensure your data is transferred with the best response times possible. However, your data needs to be decompressed when it leaves the mobile network and goes out to the internet. Although the decompressed volume may be indicated in the window, you will be charged by the amount of data transferred from point to point.
- If the Vodafone Mobile Broadband app stops for any reason, some data usage may not be recorded, and this will naturally affect the totals displayed.
- If a connection is made using your SIM, but without the Vodafone Mobile Broadband app, this will not be registered in the Usage indicator of the app. For example, the app cannot record usage while the SIM is being used in another device or while using other software such as Dial-up Networking.
How much will it cost to use Vodafone Mobile Broadband when I am abroad?
These charges depend on your mobile network provider’s price plan and may vary for each visited country and even between mobile operators within each country. When you use your Vodafone Mobile Broadband device overseas, the Vodafone app for your device will indicate that you are Roaming. The app will notify you each time you connect that different charges may apply. Data charges will appear on your bill as normal but will be listed as 'Roamed'.
Please visit your mobile network provider’s website for up-to-date pricing.
What is the mobile number of the SIM in my Vodafone Mobile Broadband device?
The Vodafone Mobile Broadband app for your device will have a Diagnostics area that displays information about your Vodafone Mobile Broadband device and your SIM, including the mobile number of the SIM in your device.
Also, if you send an SMS from your Vodafone Mobile Broadband app to your mobile phone, the SMS received will display the mobile number of your device.
Can I make voice calls using my Vodafone Mobile Broadband SIM?
Can I connect to the Internet using Vodafone Mobile Broadband via a Virtual Private Network (VPN)?
Your Vodafone Mobile Broadband device can be used with any VPN. In addition, the Enterprise version of the Vodafone Mobile Broadband app for Windows can integrate with leading VPN software, so that your VPN is opened and closed automatically when you connect and disconnect. Contact your corporate IT help desk or your mobile network operator for further information.
In which countries can I use Vodafone Mobile Broadband?
Contact your mobile network operator before Roaming abroad to check for network support and pricing, including any special Roaming offers that may be available.
What Update settings should I use with Vodafone Mobile Broadband?
When connecting with Vodafone Mobile Broadband, we recommend you disable automatic updates and set your computer’s operating system and any large apps to notify you before downloading updates. This prevents your mobile connection being slowed down by large updates. We recommend checking for updates when connected to the internet via a fixed-line connection or Wi-Fi.
Why am I having problems sending SMS using Vodafone Mobile Broadband?
When Roaming, make sure you enter a plus sign ‘+’ before the mobile number to which you are sending your SMS, followed by the international country code, eg. +44 for the UK. In most countries, any leading ‘0’ is also dropped. For example, mobile numbers in the UK usually begin with ‘07…’, so you should enter them starting with ‘+447…’ for international use.
Check also that your Vodafone Mobile Broadband device or app is displaying a mobile network name and signal strength, indicating that you are within coverage of a mobile network.
What happens to SMS text messages sent to me when I am not using my Vodafone Mobile Broadband SIM?
This works exactly the same way as your mobile phone. Your SMS messages will be stored by the network until you use your SIM in an area with mobile network coverage. Some mobile networks discard messages that cannot be delivered after several days.
Why doesn’t my Vodafone Mobile Broadband app close when I click the Close box?
Check the settings of your Mobile Broadband app. You can normally set it to exit or quit completely when you click the Close box, or to continue running in the background, so that your mobile connection is retained.
What can I do to solve problems getting connected when abroad?
- Remember to check that your account allows Roaming before you travel. In some cases you can call Customer Services while you are abroad to enable Roaming. In any case, you will need to have the mobile number of your SIM, plus the IMSI and the IMEI numbers. You can normally find these details in your Vodafone Mobile Broadband app.
- If automatic network selection fails, you can normally use the settings in your Vodafone Mobile Broadband app to connect to a network manually.
- Alternatively, take your SIM out of your Vodafone Mobile Broadband device and put it into your mobile phone. Then select a mobile network manually on your phone. Once you have chosen a network, switch off your phone and put your SIM back into your Vodafone Mobile Broadband device. The mobile network you selected should now be available on your device.
- Check with Customer Services to ensure there is no problem with data roaming services. It is possible that data roaming services could be affected by a temporary outage while voice services continue to operate.
- If the problem persists, your device or SIM may be faulty. Contact your Corporate IT help desk or your mobile network operator.
What happens if someone else plugs my Vodafone Mobile Broadband device into their computer
If the other person is using a Microsoft Windows or Apple Mac computer, the Vodafone app will be set up on their computer just like it was the first time you plugged your device into your own computer. If the other person is also using your SIM, your mobile network operator will charge any usage to your account.
Am I charged for always being connected to the mobile network?
Most tariffs are based on data volume, so there is no charge unless data is sent or received. If your tariff is based on time, you will be charged for the duration of your connections, independent of the data you sent or received. Check with your mobile network operator what kind of tariff you have.
What can I do if my Vodafone Mobile Broadband device can’t find a mobile network?
- Change your physical location: in a building, move closer to a window, move higher up, or go outside
- Use your Vodafone Mobile Broadband app to see if you can manually connect to a different mobile network
- Contact your mobile network operator and check that data services and Roaming
are enabled on your account.
How do I check if my Vodafone Mobile Broadband SIM has been activated?
- Put your SIM in your Vodafone Mobile Broadband device
- Check that the signal strength indicator of your app or device shows a signal
- Check that the name of a mobile network is displayed
- If after five minutes no signal or network shows up, or ‘SIM not activated’ or ’Acquiring’ is displayed, please contact your mobile network operator to activate your SIM.
How can I ensure I pay the lowest rates available when using Vodafone Mobile Broadband abroad?
Your Vodafone Mobile Broadband device will always try to select a Vodafone or Vodafone Partner network where one is available. If you need to, you can select a mobile network manually via the settings of your Vodafone Mobile Broadband app.
Can I install a new version of the Vodafone Mobile Broadband app without removing the previous version?
Yes. When you install a newer version of the Vodafone Mobile Broadband app, the installer will check for the presence of previous versions and overwrite or uninstall them. In some cases, for older versions of Microsoft Windows and the app, your computer may need to be re-started to complete uninstallation. Please follow the on-screen instructions when installing the app.
What is the recommended format for international numbers when sending SMS?
Put plus sign ‘+’ before the mobile number to which you are sending your SMS, followed by the international country code, eg. +44 for the UK. In most countries, any leading ‘0’ is also dropped. For example, mobile numbers in the UK usually begin with ‘07…’, so write them starting with ‘+447…’ for international use.
Does the SIM for my Vodafone Mobile Broadband device require a PIN?
I’ve forgotten the PIN for my SIM. What do I do?
Where can I find or get my PUK code?
Why can’t I send or receive SMS messages from my Vodafone Mobile Broadband device or app?
Check that your SMS Inbox is not full and that you are in mobile network coverage.
Messages you write that cannot be sent will stay in your Outbox until your Vodafone Mobile Broadband device finds a mobile network.
Messages sent to you will be stored by the network until your device finds a mobile network, at which point your messages will be delivered to your SMS Inbox.
What is ‘Always Best Connected’?
Always Best Connected, or ‘ABC’, is a feature of some versions of the Vodafone Mobile Broadband app, including the Enterprise version for Microsoft Windows. Where included, ABC allows your Vodafone Mobile Broadband app to actively manage LAN and Wi-Fi connections as well as mobile connections. ABC is designed to select the best connection in any location, according to priorities that you can adjust.
You might, for example, want your computer to always connect to Wi-Fi networks that you know, eg. in your home or office, but use a mobile connection when these preferred Wi-Fi networks are not available, in order to increase the security of your data. You could set unknown Wi-Fi networks to be off limits completely, or for ABC to ask you whether they should be used when none of your preferred Wi-Fi networks or a mobile network is available. And you might want to ensure that any mobile or Wi-Fi connections that are open are closed automatically when you plug in an Ethernet network cable to join a LAN (‘Local Area Network’).
The standard ABC settings ensure a computer with the Vodafone Mobile Broadband app works in the same way as a tablet or smartphone, switching between mobile and Wi-Fi networks automatically. But ABC can additionally manage LAN connections, and you can adjust its priorities as you wish.
What is a ’Preferred Wi-Fi Connection’?
A Preferred Wi-Fi Connection may be displayed when you are using some versions of the Vodafone Mobile Broadband app that include the Always Best Connected connection management feature, eg. the Enterprise app for Microsoft Windows. A Preferred Wi-Fi connection is a Wi-Fi network that you have previously authenticated on and connected to, eg. your home or office Wi-Fi network. You may have more than one preferred Wi-Fi. Once you have used a new Wi-Fi network it will be recognised as Preferred in the future.
Is Wi-Fi secure?
- An office or company Wi-Fi network will be managed by IT and will normally be very secure, employing encryption to ensure that data cannot be intercepted
- A home network, or a public Wi-Fi network in a café or bar is a different proposition, but can be made more secure by, for example:
- Changing the default admin user names and passwords
- Turning on the highest level of encryption supported, eg. WPA2
- Changing the default network name (the ‘SSID’)
- Enabling MAC address filtering
- Not allowing the SSID to be broadcast
- Enabling firewalls on all computers and the router.
Public Wi-Fi hotspots are more dangerous, as many do not employ encryption and are therefore more vulnerable to ‘evil twin’ attacks. This is where a fake network is set up to look like the public hotspot, and then used to intercept your details and data. You should therefore always consider what kinds of personal or sensitive data you transfer over public hotspots.
Does the Always Best Connected feature of my Vodafone Mobile Broadband app notice when I am Roaming?
Always Best Connected works both when you are in your home network and when you are Roaming abroad. It has separate settings for both situations, which you can modify as you wish. For example, you could set ABC to check with you before connecting to a Roaming mobile network.
How does Always Best Connected feature of my Vodafone Mobile Broadband app save my data bundle?
By connecting to your home or office Wi-Fi networks whenever they are available, you are not eating into your mobile data bundle. So you can save your mobile data for when you are out and about, outside any of your preferred Wi-Fi connections.
How much does it cost to connect via a Wi-Fi network?
Wi-Fi usage does not incur a cost on your Vodafone bill, nor does it eat into your mobile data bundle. If you are a prepay user and have no credit on your Vodafone account, you can still connect via Wi-Fi, provided you are allowed to access the Wi-Fi network. The supplier of the Wi-Fi network may charge you for access and these charges vary widely.
Why am I asked for payment details when I try to connect to a Wi-Fi network?
How fast is Wi-Fi?
- The number of users connected to the Wi-Fi network
- The speed of the connection from the Wi-Fi network to the internet
A large number of users in the same location or a limited connection to the internet will directly affect the performance of your Wi-Fi connection.
Does Vodafone offer public Wi-Fi hotspots?
When I use my Vodafone Mobile Wi-Fi Router, why is it displayed as a Wi-Fi connection and not as a mobile connection?
This is because the initial connection from your computer or tablet to your Router is via Wi-Fi. Your Vodafone Mobile Wi-Fi Router then connects to the internet using the mobile network, routing data from your computer or tablet through as required.