Case Study | May 2014
Mswipe’s solution enables smaller retailers to accept card payments, reducing the cost of doing business. Since its launch in January 2013, the Mswipe solution has rolled out to 7,000 merchants in India.
Manish Patel, CEO of Mswipe, ran into a common problem faced by merchants: he was unable to take card payments at customers’ premises. His response was to devise a solution capable of taking card payments via a smartphone. Patel created a company called Mswipe to develop the hardware and software and to market the solution. To work effectively it needed a network partner delivering connectivity nationwide.
The Mswipe solution centres on a piece of hardware called the Wisepad, linked to a smartphone via Bluetooth. Users download the Mswipe application on their smartphones and then cards are swiped at the point of purchase and payment details sent via a Vodafone M2M SIM.
- Mswipe’s solution for the first time enables smaller retailers to accept card payments, reducing the cost of doing business
- Solution rolled out to 7,000 merchants in first year, target of 100,000 by the end of 2016 – in five countries, all supported by Vodafone
- Vodafone M2M SIMs ensure the most robust, reliable connectivity, nationwide with the scope to expand internationally
- Paves the way for Mswipe to develop payment and customer loyalty applications for specific market sectors
- Solution meets government and card industry regulations, with no customer data stored on local devices
"If we’ve ever had a problem they’ve sent someone to deal with it, never by phone. We’re very happy with the Vodafone response." Chaitanya Rathi,
Chief Operating Officer, Mswipe