Analyst Views | August 2016
Product Assessment – Vodafone Global Industrial IoT Services
Current Analysis identifies Vodafone as a global leader in IoT with 38 million connections, managed IoT Connectivity available in 30 countries and 4G LTE roaming for IoT available in over 100 countries.
Summary of key strengths
- Vodafone is a global leader in IoT; in FY 2015 (ended March 31), it reached 38 million connections, with annual revenue growth of 29%. Its Managed IoT Connectivity platform is now available in 30 countries.
- Vodafone provides end to end solutions for remote monitoring, Internet in the Car and Usage Based Insurance, with a new focus on building security, and cloud-enabled applications.
- 4G LTE roaming for IoT is available in over 100 countries. Vodafone is also partnering with satellite operators to offer complementary VSAT in remote regions.
- Vodafone is seeing requirements for fixed IoT connectivity (for utilities, for example), and also opened the first NB-IoT Lab, with trials for NB-IoT in four countries and commercial launch set for 2017.
- The acquisition of Cobra (now Vodafone Automotive) provided many new OEM customers an end to end hardware/software/platform service for the connected car. Vodafone offers highly secure connected car technology via encryption and device registration.
- As vertical sectors grow they become centers of competence (like Vodafone Automotive). Key verticals where Vodafone offers managed connectivity and end solutions are: utilities, health, industry, building security, retail and smart city.