We examine the enterprise demands which are driving the adoption of FMC.
Fixed-mobile convergence (FMC) is the seamless connectivity of voice data between fixed and wireless telecommunications networks with a single number and voicemail and seamless transfers between devices. It should not be confused with Unified Communications (UC) which is the category description for the strategic integration of all forms of communications, including voice data, video conferencing and desktop.
A number of factors are combining together to drive the enterprise demand for FMC solutions:
- Bandwidth – global availability of 3G wireless, broadband and fixed data networks
- Industry consolidation – mergers and acquisitions between IT and telecom operators
- Market changes – a trend for mobile operators to manager customer’s fixed estates
- Consumerisation – rapid global smartphone and tablet penetration
- Convenience – demand from end users for easy-to-use, joined-up communications
- Cloud computing – internal data centres being replaced by scalable cloud resources
- Data management – business applications being re-engineered into easy mobile apps
- Globalisation – economic shifts are driving opportunities in emerging markets
- Real-time – customer engagement and supplier operations need to be in real-time
The effect of all these factors is causing an explosion of popular devices and applications in the enterprise as well as demands from end user for integrated communications tools which CIO’s are struggling to manage from a technological, policy and cultural perspective. Vodafone Global Enterprise has evolved solutions to these factors by offering a series of modular staged progressions that embrace and exploit these disruptive technology trends.
Vodafone Global Enterprise and a number of CIO clients have identified the following operational situations that are ideal in introducing a cost effective modular FMC deployment:
- PBX replacement cycles
- Moving offices or office refurbishment
- Property or workspace rationalisation
- Launch of mobile working strategy
- Telecommunications/supplier audit
These can be used as modular building blocks to evolve a managed UC strategy that enables a multinational company to innovate and achieve business transformation using enterprise fixed mobile convergence.