"NHSmail is a high availability application that provides NHS staff with excellent tools for communicating securely. NHSmail also benefits patients as the service speeds up communication relating to their care."
NHSmail Programme Head, NHS Connecting for Health
The first generation NHSmail platform successfully supported 350,000 users; however requirements for the development of the service changed with an increasing need for collaboration and mobility features. It was time to consider moving to a more familiar and feature-rich platform.
We redesigned and rebuilt the NHSmail service introducing extra features, and enabling new channels of communication. Over 11 weekends more than 350,000 accounts were moved to the new platform, reaching a peak when a massive 47,000 accounts were migrated in just 48 hours.
- A secure email service accredited to Government RESTRICTED status with anti-virus /anti-spam protection
- Access via a web portal, email clients or mobile devices plus SMS & fax features
- NHS-wide collaboration via shared folders, calendars and a national directory
- Business continuity via dual site resiliency
- An administration portal allowing organisations to retain control of user accounts and perform tasks such as resetting passwords and managing mailbox quotas.